The biggest night in Hollywood turned out some of the most beautiful gowns we have seen in ages. Forget the golden statues. We know the real winners are the ladies who blow everyone away with the perfect dress. White gowns proved to be the evening’s clear favorite (though some should be left on the aisle, not displayed on the red carpet), while the best crimson dresses were more demure than siren-sultry. My top five looks that stole the awards show:
1. Li Bingbing: The beautiful Chinese actress managed to show up all the Americans. Li did white right with her textural Georges Chakra gown and Cindy Chao 18kt white gold, pave diamond Maple Leaf
Earrings and 18kt yellow gold, pave yellow and white diamond Flaming Floral Ruby cuff, which flawlessly picked up the dress’ embellishments.
2. Michelle Williams: Michelle managed to look like herself yet better than ever in tiers of peplum by Louis Vuitton. I love the fifties feel to the dress (a nod to Marilyn’s heyday), but with her short hair, simple makeup, and a blush Bottega Veneta clutch, it’s all very modern.
3. Milla Jovovich: Classically glamorous, Milla’s elegant silvery white Elie Saab gown floated down the carpet like crystal liquid. Perfect hair, makeup, and an Edie Parker clutch completed her 1940s screen-siren look.
4. Emma Stone: Emma may be a new face at the Oscars, but her knack for red-carpet dressing oozes wisdom. I can’t decide what’s more gorgeous about her uplifting Giambattista Valli gown: the color or the silhouette. Overall, it’s so fresh, modern, and full of personality – just like her.
5. Rooney Mara: For once, everyone’s favorite It girl turned up the glam factor. High. The combination of her blunt, Betty Page-meets-punk bangs, a boldly dark red lip, and delicately wispy Haute Couture Givenchy dress was so chic. My favorite of the evening.