One of the strongest trends for Fall 2012 is velvet, and with so many designers embracing their dark sides, black velvet has stolen the show. I remember when velvet took over my wardrobe in the ‘90s, (including a green velvet bustier…yes, I went there).
I don’t think I’ll be going back to lingerie territory, but no need! High on mysterious romance and even higher on drama, nothing is as lush or rich as silk velvet.
1. Gucci Velvet Flared Pants and Gucci Velvet Tuxedo Jacket: Gucci’s new velvet tuxedo is a nod to the glamorous heyday of Tom Ford’s reign (I have it in blue AND dark red). Pants, on Net-a-Porter for $595, and Jacket, at Saks Fifth Avenue for $2,200.
2. L’Agence Textured Sleeveless Dress: A textured, cropped sheath-style top makes this deceiving dress a versatile winner. Available for pre-order at Barneys New York for $425 (expect delivery in September).
3. Valentino Velvet Dot Blouse: You don’t have to go all the way to get the point across. The sheer-shirt trend gets a serious upgrade doused in velvet polka-dots. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,890.
4. Jean Paul Gaultier Stretch Velvet Leggings: Gaultier’s leggings will update everything else in your wardrobe. If you acquire no other velvet this season, this pair is a must. At Nordstrom for $945.
5. Jil Sander Navy Velvet Collar Bonded Wool Coat: A femininely rounded velvet collar gives this military-esque wool coat an instant boost, to take you straight into winter. At Nordstrom for $1,420.