Who needs color to get excited about a new coat? Texture-clashing is the new color-blocking. This fall, there is no better blend than wintry wool (or apalca, for that matter) and streetwise leather. You get the best of both worlds: sleekness, warmth, and the grit of a leather jacket. Best of all, a leather sleeve makes for less of a commitment than going full-force, so you can enjoy maximum wear all season long. Take it a step further, and introduce more textures to your overall look (think patent, fur, and python!).
1. Whistles Floretta Coat: It’s the texture, not the price, that counts. This frugal-snob find has ribbed paneling in all the right places.
On Asos for $395.78.
2. Gareth Pugh Alpaca and Leather Godet Coat: I’m obsessed with Gareth’s dramatic number! The peplum-skirt silhouette will have me perfecting my twirls all winter long.
At Barneys New York for $2,855.
3. DKNY Leather-Trimmed Wool-Blend Coat: Subtle leather touches and dropped shoulders update the classic deep-navy peacoat for 2012.
On Net-a-Porter for $745.
4. Rick Owens Naska Metallic Leather-Trimmed Wool-Felt Coat: Fluid lines of taupe wool-felt get pumped up with a leather-drawstring waist and metallic sleeves for the ladylike rocker.
On Net-a-Porter for $2,420.
5. Alexander Wang Leather-Sleeved Wool-Blend Coat: Alex Wang is all grown up, and this smart charcoal coat proves it…but the edge happily remains with hot croc-stamped sleeves.
On Net-a-Porter for $995.